I always get a kick out of people saying, “I love to eat”. Well yeah, don’t we all? It’s one of America’s favorite past times! But usually I hear that same comment followed by, “…which is why I can’t lose weight”.
Who says you can’t ”love to eat” healthy foods? I really enjoy chocolate chip cookie dough…but I also enjoy grilled zucchini, eggplant and onion with balsamic vinegar and feta cheese. It’s a no-brainer as to which is the better choice.
So let’s talk choices. Instead of trying (and probably failing) to eat clean all the time, focus on making just ONE change.
- Switch from to fat-free or low-fat milk. If you don’t like the flavor, try mixing your regular milk with the lower fat version until you get used to it
- Use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, mayonnaise or cream cheese. You can use it cold for dips, mix it through salads and pasta and add it to hot meals.
- Try a GOOD butter substitute. My three favorites taste like the real thing, and aren’t filled with partially hydrogenated soybean oil ( a transfat). Try “Earth Balance Margarine Natural Buttery Spread Lactose Free”, “Olivio Spreadable Butter with Canola & Olive Oil”, or “Smart Balance Omega Plus Buttery Spread”.
- Try the diet version of your favorite soda. I know, it’s still artificially sweetened, but if you are hooked on the regular, you’re getting way too many calories! (We’ll work on eliminating all soda later.)
- Switch to sugar free jams.
- Buy low-sodium versions of your favorite deli meats. Remember, a high-sodium diet can raise your risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke.
Making just one change can really be a springboard to success. Once you’ve been accustomed to your new food choices, you’ll start realizing that you still “love to eat”…and your healthier body will thank you for it! Do YOU have changes you’ve made lately? I’d love to hear about it!