We all have an inner “rule book” we try to live by. Some of us bend the rules, sometimes we break them….but it’s basically our own personal roadmap of how we live. I’m sharing mine with you simply to show you what I have found works for me. I’m not saying it’s the best….it’s just my rule book.
I try to live by the 80/20 rule. Eighty percent of the time I eat clean, exercise regularly, and get my necessary eight hours of sleep. The other twenty percent I live a little. Truly, what’s the point of living your fit life, it you can’t live your FUN life as well?
So here’s how I treat and train myself. It’s not for everyone, but it’s what works for me.
- Exercise six days a week. For me, it’s generally in the gym. NO EXCUSES. I don’t let myself slack off. Period.
- Eat breakfast every single day. Even if I had a big meal the night before. I truly believe it sets my eating up right for the entire day.
- Eat every 2-3 hours. I’m a big believer in snacking. The right snacks, of course. But it’s constant fuel, and I am less likely to make mistakes when I’m starving.
- Eating out is not an excuse to overeat. You can enjoy a restaurant meal to your liking if you aren’t afraid to just ASK!
- Alcohol in moderation. Enough said.
- Go to bed. I aim for eight hours of sleep a night. It means my 15-year old is up after me, but I know what I’m like without my eight.
- Shop the outside aisles of the grocery store. I buy very few items that are boxed or packaged. If it doesn’t grow from the ground, or graze, it’s probably not healthy.
It all works about eighty percent of the time. The other twenty–well, if it’s a well deserved chocolate chip cookie—leave me alone!
So enough about me…stay tuned! Look for my Monday motivations….and Nutrition news on Wednesdays.
And if you stop in….could you share YOUR personal philosophy with me? I would love to hear it!